Book Review: Octopus Pie Volume 1 by Meredith Gran

Octopus Pie Volume 1 is a graphic novel for young adults and adults by Meredith Gran. In this first collected volume of the Octopus Pie series, we follow grumpy twenty-something Eve and her stoner roommate Hanna as they navigate post-college life. They'll take on crazed childhood rivals, troubling art scenes, the discomfort of exes, and maybe even friendship? All this and more in the fictional, totally made-up city of Brooklyn.

Octopus Pie Volume 1 is a graphic novel that does a great job of collecting varied flawed characters that feel real. I think I have met some of the characters, and saw bits and pieces of myself in a few even though I am well past that stage in my life. I think young adults, new adults, and not so young anymore adults will some things they recognize from the real world here. I like the variety of characters, and their variety of flaws. While there were some characters and situations that seemed over the top, while you are going through the transitional and complex times sometime the world feels like that- at least from what I can remember. I related to Eve in her pragmatism, self-doubt, and some of her struggles. I like the combination of quirky adventures, successes, and failures as she tries to figure out just who she is and where she stands in the world. I think that everyone can relate to that feeling, even if they appear to have it all together.


Octopus Pie Volume 1 is so well done that I have the second volume waiting for me. While I am not as grumpy as Eve (really!) and have never been like Hanna I can see the reality in the story. I like the open look at a transitional time in everyone's life, and how the good is found in each of the very different paths. It is a well paced read that I greatly enjoyed. 

No comments: