Book Review: Skycastle, the Demon, and Me (Skycastle Series, #1) by Andy Mulberry

Skycastle, the Demon, and Me by Andy Mulberry is a short chapter book for children. It is marketed as a middle grade book, but I think some younger readers would enjoy it as well. Jack gets more than he bargained for when he orders a demon straight from the Underworld. Things go hilariously awry when the demon Brinkloven Crowley the Third, Brink for short, is not quite what Jack expected.

Skycastle, the Demon, and Me is an interesting book, and is the first in a series. Jack lives in a crumbling castle with his family, and they give tours to tourists. The leaking ceiling and dwindling cashflow have Jack a little worried, and when he finds an unusual note touting the Demon Delivery he gets some big ideas for how to make tours, and his time, in the castle more interesting. Jack gets more than he bargained for, and things get pretty interesting with a demon about, but not in any way Jack expects. I felt that Jack's character was relatable for readers, and while the action was not necessarily believable, I think there are many kids that would read and enjoy the story. I was not really thrilled with how unimportant the parents seem to be in the grand scheme of things, both in the action and in Jack's line of thinking. The ending was a little disappointing to me as well, partly because it was a cliff hanger ending to make sure readers continue the series.


Skycastle, the Demon, and Me is a quick read, and will be a fun read for many. I was not thrilled with it, but I think that is because I have read so many really great books for this age group that just alright books make me a little sad. This was a book that fell into that category for me.

No comments: