Book Review: The Highlander Who Loved Me by Adrienne Basso

The Highlander Who Loved Me by Adrienne Basso is a historical romance.  Sir James McKenna, second son of the powerful McKenna Chief, knows he has found his destiny when he falls in love with sweet Lady Davina Armstrong, niece of the Armstrong Chief. Orphaned in childhood, Davina has always felt like an outsider, and with James finally feels that she belongs. But their plans for a happy future are shattered after a brutal attack by a band of rogues. Horrified, Davina’s overprotective family quickly shelters her from everyone, including James. Five years later, James is a changed man. His fighting skills sharpened to perfection, he is hardened by the war and destruction he’s endured as a Scottish knight, and by the loss of Davina. When he returns home he is shocked to find Davina there. Is it too late for them to start anew, or will the past dare to lay claim to their future once more?

The Highlander Who Loved Me is a story about two honorable characters that have found true love, and lost it because of circumstances and fear. I liked Davina, although I felt her a little naive and foolish on a couple occasions. However, I think that it was in character, since she had such a sheltered life. I liked James as well, even though I thought he gave up and run away way too soon after the attack. I understood why, and know that if he hadn’t the rest of the book would not have been there, but I still wanted to kick him. I really liked James’ family and the support, and complications, that they offered. I would the big reveal about the cause of the problems to be an actual surprise, and liked the way that everything came together in the end. 


The Highlander Who Loved Me is a well done historical romance that speak to the ability of love to really concur all- but not without a little effort and work by the people involved. I liked the complex characters and have a feeling that I will be returning to the time and family to see how James’ brother finds love in future books from the author.  

No comments: