Book Review: So I Married a Highlander by Kate McKinley

So I Married a Highlander is the second book in the What Happens In Scotland series by Kate McKinley. I did not read the first book in the series, but while it might have given me more insight on the characters, I still felt like I could fully enjoy tale despite the lack. 

Lady Evelyn Alexander is attempting to elope when everything goes wrong, and she somehow wakes up chained to the tall, gruff Highlander she somehow married. Her original fiancĂ© has mysteriously gone missing and the threat of scandal is hot on their heel. Alec McAllister has no use for a wife, but when he wakes up entwined with the lovely and spirited Evelyn, he’s willing to reconsider. He’ll help her find her fiancĂ©, but when the passions ignite between them, it’s only a matter of time before the Highlander claims what’s his.

So I Married a Highlander is a quick and fairly steamy read. Evelyn and Alec are interesting characters, that we do get a little bit of a glimpse into through the book. Their is a definite bit of insta-lust here, and some bits of plot that make some things a little too easy and are never really explained. i did like the bits of Alec that we got to see, the past that made him who he is, and the little bits of understanding as too why Evelyn is a bit weary of bad weather and getting sick. However, I felt like the book was light on character development and plot, and more focused on the physical attraction between the pair. I felt like I was reading a novella or short story that needed to find plot twists and solutions more quickly than the characters and readers are quite prepared for. I really enjoyed the opening and had fairly high hopes. What was included was good, I just expect more.


So I Married a Highlander is good for readers looking for a quick, steamy read. It would be a good weekend read, or read to fill the time while waiting for another book to become available. 

No comments: