Book Review: Please, Mr. Panda by Steve Antony

Please, Mr. Panda is a picturebook about manners by Steve Antony. What is the proper way to ask Mr. Panda for doughnuts? Patiently and politely, Mr. Panda asks the animals he comes across if they would like a doughnut. A penguin, a skunk, and a whale all say yes, but they do not remember to say "please" and "thank you." Is anyone worthy of Mr. Panda's doughnuts?

Please, Mr. Panda is a story that I immediately checked out and brought home to read with my kids after cataloging at the library. I am diligent about using my please's and thank you's, and am teaching my children to be the same way. However, while they are good about doing so with others- they are not so good at doing so with Mom and Dad. Like Mr. Panda, if please is not used then the potential recipient gets a big old 'no' from me, at least until they ask correctly. When I saw a picturebook modeling exactly what I do at home I smiled, and then checked this puppy out. Mr. Panda offers his doughnuts to every one he meets, but when his question is met with greedy answers he changes his mind. It is only when manners are used that he hands over the goodies, and mentions that he does not really like them any way. I love it!


Please, Mr. Panda is a great book for starting discussions about manners, or reinforcing the lessons children of every age have been taught. It is straight forward and fun, with charming illustrations that are simple but bold. 

No comments: