Book Review: Blameless by Gail Carriger

Blameless is the third book in the Parasol Protectorate series by Gail Carriger. The audiobook is read Emily Gray. This is a series that you definitely need to read or listen to in order.

Quitting her husband's house and moving back in with her horrible family, Lady Maccon becomes the scandal of the London season. Queen Victoria dismisses her from the Shadow Council, and the only person who can explain anything, Lord Akeldama, unexpectedly leaves town. In short order, Alexia is attacked by homicidal mechanical ladybugs. While Lord Maccon elects to get progressively more inebriated and Professor Lyall desperately tries to hold the Woolsey werewolf pack together, Alexia flees England for Italy in search of the mysterious Templars. Only they know enough about the preternatural to explain her increasingly inconvenient condition, but they may be worse than the vampires, although they are armed with pesto.

Blameless is a continuation of a series that combines steampunk, paranormal characters, and loads of humor. Alexia continues to be the strong willed, smart, and determined lady and the dangers that surround her change and grow along with her waistline as she investigates the possibilities and perils that come with her pregnancy. The Templars fit my expectations, and surpassed them in some areas, while Lord Maccon's efforts to get roaring drunk were only as humorous as they were because I knew he would get over it and Lyall's efforts to make it stop. If you enjoyed the first two books in the series, then you need to keep going, trust me. these series is like my favorite snack foods, I know it isn't the best out there but I enjoy it so much!

Blameless gave me exactly what I was looking for at the end of Changeless. I enjoyed it tremendously. My only regret is that I had not listened to the first books as well, because Emily Gray does a wonderful job as narrator. Her inflections, accents, and voices used just draw you in and do not let you go. I will admit to some serious binge listening of this book (and the next) because of her work.  

No comments: