Book Review: When Lunch Fights Back: Wickedly Clever Animal Defenses by Rebecca L. Johnson

When Lunch Fights Back: Wickedly Clever Animal Defenses by Rebecca L. Johnson is a nonfiction book for children. This book introduces readers of all ages to living things with some of the strangest defenses known to science. There are termites that blow themselves up to save the colony, fish that produce copious amounts of slime, lizards that run on water, and much more. Readers that love to learn about nature, animals, and some odd animal abilities will devour this book.

When Lunch Fights Back: Wickedly Clever Animal Defenses is a book that my kids loved.  My daughter loves anything animal related and my son loves anything that can be called gross or weird. this book made both of them happy. I think the real photographs along with the explanations of how these defenses take place were very well organized and explained so that young readers can get something out of it while older readers are learning even more and are not bored.  Most of these defenses and odd animal abilities were not new to me, but some of the information was. I learned something, as did my children. I think this book can be a regular repeat read for many children.

When Lunch Fights Back: Wickedly Clever Animal Defenses has a good balance of photographs and information. It does not over or underwhelm readers, avoiding boring the older readers or making the younger readers feel left out. this would be a great high interest book for grabbing the attention of nature or oddity loving reluctant readers.

No comments: