Book Review: My Teacher Is a Monster! (No, I Am Not.) by Peter Brown

My Teacher Is a Monster! (No, I Am Not.) by Peter Brown is a great picturebook for this time of year. A boy named Bobby thinks his teacher is the worst. She is loud, she yells, and he is fairly certain she is a monster. Luckily, Bobby can go to his favorite spot in the park on weekends to play. Then one day he sees his teacher there! That day Bobby learns that monsters are not always what they seem.

My Teacher Is a Monster! (No, I Am Not.) is a fun story that most school age children can relate to. Either they are upset with their teacher for the work they need to do, a punishment they feel is unfair, or stories that they have heard about the teacher before school even starts. Then the is the innate belief with most young students that teachers really do not exist outside the school building, and you get a universal starting ground for a charming story. Each page has small monstrous details for the teacher and little bits of humor in each illustration. This is one of those picturebooks that stands up to several readings and will be a great going back to school read for story times or at home.

My Teacher Is a Monster! (No, I Am Not.) is a book that I would recommend for group or one on one reading. Newly independent readers will enjoy exploring the book on their own or sharing with others. The story is fun, humorous, and has a universal theme that all readers will enjoy.

No comments: