Book Review: Fire Burn And Cauldron Bubble by H.P. Mallory

Fire Burn And Cauldron Bubble is the first book in the Jolie Wilkins series by H.P. Mallory  is a blend of human, urban fantasy, and romance. Jolie is a self employed psychic approached by a powerful warlock to help solve a murder. The trouble is that in the process she discovers that she has the unique power that allows her to bring the dead back to life. This makes her a major asset, and there are several players that want her for their team. The gorgeous warlock that discovered her powers, a ruthless witch in search of more power, a couple of vampires with a taste for witches, and more are all vying to have her on their side. Jolie needs to decide who has the best intentions, and her best interests at heart. Her love life is in play, but so is the fate of the supernatural creatures around the world. Can she master her powers and make the right choices?

Fire Burn And Cauldron Bubble was a mixed bag for me. I know as the first book in the series there would need to be some serious world and character set up for the future. However I felt like the introduction of men interested in the self deprecating and seriously in the need of a mirror Jolie was a little much. As was the oversexed best friend. I felt like the guys were just tossed at her, not because they were necessary to the plot (which they were but not as relationship fodder) but because the author wanted to set up complications that could carry through the series. now that I have that out of the way, I did like the premise of the book and the majority of the characters. I regularly got annoyed with Jolie and her disbelief that men could be attracted to her and her obsession with her appearance (because of course outward appearance is everything and personality and whatnot mean nothing). The puzzles of who is on what side and who has ulterior motives is very well done, and I was actually surprised at one point. I m hoping that now all of the story and world prep work is done the second book in the series will have some serious character growth and action to make the investment worth it. I am trying to trust that it will, but am a little leery. 

I would recommend Fire Burn And Cauldron Bubble to readers that are a fan of the author. Readers that are willing to read a first novel that is mostly the set up for the following series might want to give it a try, but I would wait until reading a review of the second book (which I will get to eventually) before making an investment. 

No comments: