Book Review: His Enchantment by Diana Crosby


His Enchantment by Diana Crosby is a historical romance with a fantasy twist. Lady Catarine MacLaren is a fairy princess, but English knights have murdered her Uncle and there is danger to her entire family is in danger. Lord Trálin MacGruder, Lord Grey, will stop at nothing to defend the Scottish crown against the Comyns. As they plot to rescue the kidnapped king and queen, Trálin and Catarine will discover a love made all but impossible by her obligations to the Otherworld. Now, Catarine is torn between loyalty to her people and helping Lord Trálin rescue the Scottish king. 

His Enchantment is labeled as the sixth book in the MacGruder Brothers, none of which I remember reading, but it is apperently more like a prequel to the series. So, if you have not read any thus far, do not worry that you will be missing anything. 

Now, I liked that Catarine is a strong woman, a warrior and full of honor and loyalty. I also liked that Trálin shared similar traits, and dispite his desire to protect her still generally respects her and her abilities once he gets his head around her skills. The story and the characters were all reasonably well written, and I did enjoy seeing Catarine show of her warrior prowess on occasion. I liked that each character had thier own inner conflict, which they were open about, as well as the larger more life threatening conflicts. I really liked that the characters actually talked to each other about thier issues, rather than just thinking about them through the whole book which is one of my biggest pet peeves in romance.

I would recommend His Enchantment to readers that have read and enjoyed the other books in the series. I think readers that are fond of books that overlap Fae and historical storylines will enjoy the book. I felt like parts of the book were a little rush while other bits dragged, but overall I was satisfied with the read.

No comments: