Book Review: Double Fine Action by Scott Campbell


I requested Double Fine Action Volume 1 and Double Fine Action Volume 2 by Scott Campbell based on the promise of the blurb which sold me by mentioning the previous works of Scott C on Psychonauts and the promise that I would laugh like crazy.













I cannot say that I made it all the way through the digital galley of either of the comics. Perhaps bigger fans of Scott C and doublefine.com will enjoy it more than I, and hopefully the print version (rather than the digital galleys I have) are easier to read. The artwork is primarily black and white sketch-like panels. This can work, and I have seen it work, but I just found it a little lacking although occasionally charming in its own way. The text is handwritten and very difficult to make out on a computer screen or smaller e-reader. Once you do understand the text, the jokes are tongue in cheek and satirical, which is right up my alley, but it was just so hard to get to that point that I felt I could not fully enjoy it.

I would only recommend Double Fine Action Volume 1 and Double Fine Action Volume 2 to big fans of Scott C and doublefine.com.

No comments: