Early Book Review: The Geek Girl and the Scandalous Earl by Gina Lamm


The Geek Girl and the Scandalous Earl by Gina Lamm is a romance novel scheduled for release on March 5 2013.  Jamie Martenis a gamer girl recovering from a bad break up. When helping move and clean in an antique shop she falls through a mirror, only to land in the bedroom of an earl, 200 years in the past. Micah Axelby has suffered from his own loss, and finally shed himself of a mistress he did not care for. When he finds a nearly naked Jamie bleeding in his bedroom he is torn between helping the young woman who claims to be from the future, and protecting his recovering reputation. Before long, the pair is caught up in danger and the complications of love in a time where marriage is based more on business than pleasure.

The Geek Girl and the Scandalous Earl is a fun romance novel. I was expecting more geekery from the title, and I was disappointed that the geek aspect was limited solely to Jamie''s love of online games. However, Jamie and Micah were still interesting characters and their journey to happy ever after was entertaining. Jamie was a smart character, with a smart mouth and quick wit. Micah, most often called Mike by Jamie which I will admit irked me a little, was a stubborn but compassionate. The danger and conflict involved in the story was very well done, and kept me interested in what might happen next. While both the main characters were well built, I did not find myself caring about either of them very much as I read. I cared much more about Micah's housekeeper, other staff, and dog, than the two main characters. The story was there, but I felt like it could have been better.

I recommend The Geek Girl and the Scandalous Earl to readers that want a quick and fun read, and those that enjoy Lamm's writing. It was an entertaining read, but was not something I would buy for my permanent collect.

No comments: