Book Review: Fables: Werewolves of the Heartland


Fables: Werewolves of the Heartland by Bill Willingham, Craig Hamilton, and Jim Fern is a graphic novel I was very excited to read. I was an avid reader of Fables back in the day, before kids and work got in the way, and have fallen years behind. So, I thought this stand alone graphic novel could give me the fix I wanted for the story, without making me feel lost in a story I have completely lost track of. The story and art in Werewolves of the Heartland are fantastic, featuring the big bad wolf, better known as Bigby Wolf, searching for a new location for Fabletown. In his search, he stumbles upon Story City, a city of werewolves related to Bigby's past who seem to view him as a god, but also as a threat or ticket to rising above their station.

Fables: Werewolves of the Heartland is a wonderful stand alone graphic novel. I greatly enjoyed the look into Bigby''s past, think World War II. The secrets and plotting taking place in Story City offers plenty of drama and chaos to keep any reader interested, regardless of if they already know who the big wolf might be. As a lapsed reader, I had a couple moments of confusion, such as to why Bidbsy was looking for a new place for Fabletown and whatever had gone down with Bluebeard. However, for the most part there is not much connection to the bigger picture of the Fables series to be had. I think this graphic novel might be a great introduction to the writers and the artists of the series, and their wonderful work, I do not think it is a book that will bring new readers to the fantastic series.

I recommend Fables: Werewolves of the Heartland to readers that enjoy the Fables series, the work of the authors and artists involved. Readers that like graphic novels, urban fantasy, and werewolf mythology will all greatly appreciate the book.

No comments: