Book Review: Bad Medicine #1 by Nunzio DeFilippis and Christina Weir


Bad Medicine #1 is a graphic novel by Nunzio DeFilippis and Christina Weir. this story brings eccentric and fringe scientist Doctor Randal Horne home to NYC to investigate the experiments of a colleague who seems to have killed his assistant and uncovered the secrets of invisibility.  The tragic lab accident brings about a collaboration between Horne, a skeptical NYPD detective, and two members of the CDC. After that medical mystery is solved, the team faces more investigations that blur the lines between science and science fiction.

Bad Medicine #1 is an interesting and well drawn story. The characters are well fleshed out, with quirks and strengths that play perfectly with their particular roles. I liked the interplay between the characters, although I was confused a few times about who was who, although I blame that more on the small screen I was using to read my digital galley with rather than to book itself. The combination of science and the spectacular meshed perfectly with the collection of characters, leaving me wanting to read more to see what the group might face next and the interplay that would certainly take place.

I recommend Bad Medicine to readers that like new looks at science and the more eccentric aspects of it. Readers that like shows like X-Files and Fringe, and similar kinds of stories, will find something of value here. I found myself entertained and left with a few too many what if kinds of thoughts.

No comments: