Book Review: A Job From Hell by Jayde Scott

A Job From Hell by Jayde Scott is the first book in the young adult Ancient Legends series. Amber is seventeen, and at her brother Dallas's urging has applied for and taken a summer job as a house keeper even though she is not good at picking up after herself. The manor house she will be staying in and cleaning is in some dreary woods, and is spooky. Aidan, the owner and her boss, does not seem to be much older than Amber and only seems to be around at night. Soon Dallas sees something in the woods had hatches a scheme for quick cash, but the result is a deadly gift for Amber, and her induction to the supernatural world lurking around her. Now Amber is in serious danger, and trust is hard to come by.

A Job from Hell starts like a classic gothic novel, young girl gets a job at a spooky house with a mysterious master. It starts of good, and then rather fizzled out for me. I found myself more interested in the side characters than Amber and Aidan. The romance in this paranormal romance never really developed for me, it seemed like Scott used the 'mate' convention and never really worked out the details. If the two had just had a five minute conversation in the first half of the book, most of the action would never have even had to happen, and by the end of the story they still had not had any sort of relationship conversation. However, I kept reading because I wanted to learn more about characters like Cass, who appears to the the main character in the next book in the series, Angle, Devlin, and Clare. The action and world building was good, but it did not seem to really come together.

If you are already a fan of Jayde Scott then you have most likely already read A Job from Hell and do not need this review because you will read it anyway. For everyone else, it was an okay book, but I found the main characters to be a little flat and felt almost like this book was a placeholder to get ready for the rest of the series. It had such potential, and did not met my high expectations. I might read the next book in the series, only because it features a character I liked from this book. I have hope.

No comments: