Picturebook Review: Goldilocks and the Three Dinosaurs by Mo Willems


Have I said lately how much I love Mo Willems? If not, or even if I had, let me offer up my love to him here and now. I think Mo is awesome, and from the interviews and readings I have seen with him, he seems to be as awesome of a person as he is a writer.

Now on to the picturebook, Goldilocks and the Three Dinosaurs by Mo Willems. Mo takes the classic Goldilocks story and throws it off center. Goldilocks is still a ditzy and self absorbed little girl, but instead of wondering into the home of bears she strides into the home of dinosaurs. These dinosaurs, visiting from Norway, make heaps of chocolate pudding and leave for 'somewhere' in order to capture a tasty little morsel to eat.

Goldilocks and the Three Dinosaurs offers readers the same illustration styles as we have come to expect from Mo, and some tongue in cheek humor that had me giggling. The dinosaurs hiding in the woods and not so subtly stating their intentions through the book are absolutely perfect. Goldilocks might be greedy, and a poor listener, be she is smart enough to escape being a tasty treat for the dinosaurs. I especially loved the two morals of the story. Goldilocks and readers learn that if you are in the wrong story, get out. The now hungry and disappointing dinosaurs learn to lock their back door so that their meals cannot escape.

I highly (oh so highly I cannot express) Goldilocks and the Three Dinosaurs by Mo Willems. I you have yet to discover his work, go immediately to the library (please wait until it is open for the day) and go straight to the children's section in search of him. Do it... trust me.

And if you still cannot get enough of Mo, check out his television work. You didn't know? He spent some time contributing to Sesame Street and with the cartoon series Codename Kids Next Door.

No comments: