Book Review: Alice-Miranda on Vacation by Jacqueline Harvey

Alice-Miranda on Vacation by Jacqueline Harvey is a children's chapter book. This mystery is the follow up to Alice-Miranda at School. In this adventure, Alice-Miranda is headed home for break following her first semester away at boarding school. Jacinta, her friend and the school's second-best tantrum thrower, comes home with her. The two are looking forward to a quiet, relaxing vacation.  But soon, a cranky boy upsets the balance, and a movie star has come to visit. Stranger still, an unknown man and mysterious car keep appearing on the property. Illness, a misbehaving pony, a possibility of romance, and a thieving plot, all come together to make this a more exciting vacation than either girl wanted, or expected.


Alice-Miranda on Vacation was a fun children's book. I think I would have enjoyed it even more had I read Alice-Miranda at School, which I plan on going back to read. The characters are complicated and well developed, more so than I sometimes see in adult and young adult stories. I recommend Alice-Miranda on Vacation to young readers that enjoy mysteries, adventure, and a good read.  Children that are reading at advanced levels, or are often referred to as advanced in their school work, will especially enjoy this book because Alice-Miranda shares similar traits.

5 comments:

Jacqueline Harvey said...

Thanks Sharon for your lovely review. I am currently touring in the US and have visited 17 schools in San Francisco, Chicago, Lansing Michigan and Greenwood South Carolina. Tomorrow I start school visits in New Jersey and New York. I have loved meeting children in the US and having the opportunity to share Alice-Miranda with them.

Jacqueline Harvey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sharon the Librarian said...

I would love a chance to see you speak- If you ever get to visit Connecticut and our schedules allow it.

I saw alot of my three year old in Alice-Miranda. She is ready for college already. I have a feeling she would enroll herself in school if I did not already have her in a preschool program!

Jacqueline Harvey said...

I'm going to be in Greenwich CT on Friday week. I'm speaking at Greenwich County Day School then signing books at Diane's Books. If you live nearby perhaps we can meet? I'd love to meet your daughter too!

Sharon the Librarian said...

Unfortunately, I work most Fridays while the kids are at Preschool. If I can break away I'll see if Lilly and I can come to the signing.

Connecticut is pretty small- but the traffic and roadways make the technically small distances take a little extra time to traverse so give yourself some extra time!