Picturebook Review: Dot by Patricia Intriago

Dot by Patricia Intriago is a bright and interactive picturebook for children three and up. It uses dots to illustrate opposites while showing that shapes are everywhere. The dots show in the book are illustrated with pieces missing, squished, and shifted to offer visual references to loud versus quiet, sad and happy, as well as yummy and yucky. The colors and shapes are bold and do a brilliant job of emphasizing opposite dot relationships. The graphic design elements really hold the interest of both parent and child. I found some of the demonstrations by the dots to be very clever, and they elicited more than one smile from me as I read. Oh, and the kids liked it too. 

I recommend Dot for sharing with children three and up as a way to encourage interest in opposites and shapes, and to continue learning in those subjects. The book could also be good in small storytime or classroom settings, but would be best where the hands on approach can be used. My daughter is three, and really loved the book. My son is older, and enjoyed some of the more clever uses of dots, which made me smile even more.

No comments: