U is for Unusual Food Combinations

U is for Unusual Food Combinations. Have you ever seen someone eating something and just gone "Ugh! Gross" in your head? Of course, we all have. And there are some things that no taste test or conversation will ever be made appealing to me. Among these is my husband's habit of putting ketchup on pasta. He will add ketchup to egg noodles with butter or mac and cheese. Okay, I just gave myself the shivers thinking about it. I must move on to talk about more appetizing things.

I will admit to making some strange food combinations myself, most of which I learned from my father. First is my need to have baked beans and macaroni salad together, and I do not just mean on the same plate. First the macaroni salad gets put on the plate, then the beans right on top. Eat together and enjoy. Sounds weird, I know, but if you like both components I suggest giving it a try. My husband (yes again with his culinary particulars) takes this a step further, but adding a glob of mayo to his baked beans *shudder*. Another odd combination picked up from my father is one I have not had in years, and miss. Back in the days of having a huge garden, my parents would can, pickle, make jellies and all sorts of great stuff. My particular favorite, a chili sauce, they will still make on occasion so I get that fix. But they also made a green chili relish, like nothing I have ever found in the stores. Daddy used to put it on his hard boiled eggs. After multiple years of my yelling "gross!" (I was in grade school at the time, cut me some slack) he made me try it. I loved it. I wish I could have a hard boiled egg with that relish right now!

College introduced me to coffee, diet coke, baby carrots and Multi grain Cheerios (not all together). All fairly normal foods. But, I also learned to love peanut butter on oranges. Yup, oranges. You have probably seen peanut butter on apples, celery and any number of other foods, but I had never seen anyone try it with oranges before. I do not go around craving this taste combination, but it was surprisingly good!

Do you have a favorite unusual food combination? One that you have seen that bothers you more than any other?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I am the weird one in my house making conconctions that might kill you or just might make you stronger. If you have ever had Tai food, they use that spicy peanut sauce.. I made my own spicy mustard peanut sauce and then i put it in the crockpot with kielbasa. I made rice and we had the kielbasa conconction on top. Believe it or not, it was really good but my family thought I was trying to kill them that night. Ha ha, gotta keep them on their toes and it works when I'm trying to get them to cook too!

Tamara McRill said...

I know someone who puts ketchup on mashed potatoes--nasty! Used to think tomato on egg sandwiches was weird, until I tried it. It's delicious! Probably the strangest thing I eat is tuna and mayo on ranch Pringles. It's the only way I'll eat tuna.

Sass Ashe said...

Oh yes, I eat sugar on home made baked macaroni and cheese, my favorite snack in the world is oreos with lays potato chips and anything that is salty and sweet is sure to be something I'll try.