Book Review: Bespoke & Bespelled by Karen Healey

Bespoke & Bespelled by Karen Healey is a contemporary romance with a touch of paranormal mystery. Stitch-witch and costume designer Marnie Taylor knew she was taking a risk when she left her solid studio job in L.A. and returned to New Zealand for a job on the film adaptation of her favorite fantasy book series. But she didn’t expect supernatural sabotage on set – or her inconvenient but pressing attraction to the leading man. A-lister Rider Adams was excited for something new – the lead in an adaptation of an iconic series. Instead, he’s trapped with a terrible script and a cursed production plagued by mysterious problems from flat tires to costumes that seem to almost magically resize overnight. And for some reason, he can’t stop making an idiot of himself in front of the gorgeous costume supervisor.


Bespoke & Bespelled is a fun and fast read with some great characters. I thought Marnie was a well thought out character that I enjoyed, although I still would have liked more from and about her. I felt like I got even less about Rider and the secondary characters. I liked them, and I liked the witchy and mystery aspects of the story as well. I just felt like there could have been more of everything. More backstory of the main players, or more group interaction with the movie cast and friends, more detail on the growth of friendship and romance. All the pieces were there, but I felt more like I read the overview rather than the nitty gritty, which is what I love to read about. The book is sweet and entertaining, a great one day or weekend read that you can enjoy in the moment without getting overly attached to any of the characters. 

No comments: