Book Review: She's My Knight (Volume 1) by Saisou

She's My Knight (Volume 1) by Saisou is a manga style graphic novel. Popular boy secretly falls for princely girl in this gleeful borderline-parody of high school shojo manga . Haruma Ichinose, 17, has been popular since he was born. So popular, in fact, that he figured no one could even come close, until he met Yuki Mogami. She's tall, cool, collected, and totally makes him crazy. He may just be in love. But can he deal with falling for someone even more dashing than himself?

She's My Knight is a fun tongue in cheek story that pokes fun at so many common tropes and storylines. The parody and humor is well done and balances well within the story. The only problem I had was that I feel like a read this story before- parody aspects and all- and wonder if it is just that similar to something that has already been done just as well or if I read this manga in a different format or edition at some point. In any rate, the manga does well in achieving its goal of telling a fun story while poking fun at the genre at the same time.

 

No comments: