Book Review: The Witching Hour (Secrets of Camp Whatever) by Chris Grine

The Witching Hour is the third (and final) graphic novel in the Secrets of Camp Whatever trilogy by Chris Grine. I would definitely recommend reading this series in order.
After former camp leader Clarence P'sketty Tooter is freed from a hypnosis spell, he remembers everything, including that pesky pre-teen Willow and her scrappy friends. But most importantly, he remembers the ancient mystery surrounding Nowhere's sleep-away camp. Now, Tooter seeks revenge against Willow and her friends, and inadvertently awakens a long-dormant evil which seeks to destroy the world.

The Witching Hour is a solid conclusion to this trilogy and wraps everything up nicely. There is a lot more going on in this volume than the blurb mentions, but I would hate to spoil anything for fans of this series so I will not go into detail. I do think that there was less character growth in this installment, and I wanted a little bit more from our crew of teens reconnecting and figuring things out, although admittedly with everything else happening in the story there was not really time built in for that. I love that the art was consistent, and that there were some really fun twists and turns. I also liked the inclusion and introduction of a variety of creature. I think that this is a must read for those that have read the two previous books, but it was not as attention grabbing or keeping as the previous installments for me. 

No comments: