Audiobook Review: Stray Shadow: Oh Sh*t! Wrong Side of Heaven! (Arachnomancer) by Dustin Tigner, Narrated by Qarie Marshall

Stray Shadow: Oh Sh*t! Wrong Side of Heaven! is the second book in the Arachnomancer series by Dustin Tigner, audiobook narrated by Qarie Marshall. This is very much a series that needs to be read, or listened to in order. 
Heaven sucks. It most definitely, undeniably did not live up to the expectation of a paradise in the clouds, not with the talking spiders, evil priests of Light, and war, lots of war. Those of Light simply wouldn’t leave the fledgling village—Dedu Tedu Novus—alone. Peace was not on the menu. The seven declarations of war made that point crystal clear. Worse, in a series of unfortunate and escalating events, our stray King of Shadows finds himself where he really ought not to be. But maybe . . . this is a good thing? Probably not. Dhane, Dhane, Dhane, what ever will you do next? Uncover forgotten truths? Form alliances with monsters? Take a stroll in the most dangerous places a Shadow can be? Probably.

Stray Shadow is just as much fun, and as full or danger and angst, as the first book in the series. Dhane is coming into his own more, leaning into his responsibilities, abilities, and role in the larger picture. I liked getting to see some of my favorite characters from the first book make an appearance, and I look forward to how the story will continue. There is constant and consistent world building, and character building. It is exciting seeing all the thread get woven together and towards a bigger conclusion. I think my biggest complaint is that I listened to a companion book for a secondary character, that took place before the action of Dhane's first book. They have had moments in both of Dhane's book, and there is clearly so much more to their story (which I want desperately) but see no coming books for them, instead I see another companion book for another character coming. Do not get me wrong, I will be reading that one too- but I need some loose ends tied up and some questions answered for Sarah. 

Stray Shadow is a superb follow up to Wrong Divinity. This series, and related companion books, is my new obsession. 

No comments: