Book Review: The Cutting Edge (St. Pete Slashers) by Lisa Daily

The Cutting Edge by Lisa Daily is the first book in the St. Pete Slashers series. Logan Rivers is a star pro hockey player for the St. Pete Slashers -- and he's in a slump. He hasn’t scored in 3 games and it’s starting to freak him out. Enter Olympic figure skater Coco, who strikes a deal with an assistant coach to be Logan's lucky charm to pay off her training expenses. Sparks fly and everything is looking up for both of them. She’s almost got her debt paid off and the Slashers are on a winning streak. There's only one problem: she doesn’t know how to tell Logan she’s been lying to him the whole time. If she can just keep her secret until the playoffs are over.

The Cutting Edge started off strong and I thought it had a lot of potential. I liked Coco and her friends and could appreciate Logan's character. I loved his daughter, although I felt like more could have been done with her character. I liked the characters, thought the set up was neat, but once they added the 'conflict' I started to lose interest and some of the shine started to wear off for me. There were some moments that felt really out of character for both Coco and Logan, and about half way though the story I started to lose interested in how things were going to come together. I was looking for more information on how Coco's sick neighbor was doing, and the lives of the secondary characters more than our main players. 

The Cutting Edge started off great and had a lot of potential. I still think I'll give the next book in the series a try.

No comments: