Book Review: Last Call (Bridges and Bitters) by Lainey Davis

Last Call by Lainey Davis is the forth book in the Bridges and Bitters series. I had not read the previous books, and while it was obvious that there were related books by the cast of characters and their apparent history, I was able to enjoy this book on its own. 

It was just supposed to be a marriage on paper. Koa needed a path to citizenship and I needed the money to open Bridges and Bitters. All I've ever wanted is to take care of my sisters and run my own bar, my way. What did I care if I had a technical husband? A husband with too many dimples and more charm than he should have. So when he rolled into town after five years to deal with some paperwork, he's turned everything upside-down. Sure, Koa is charismatic and fun, but he's also a nomad. I don't have time for vacations and I don't know how to play games.  I'm not sure how I ended up hitched to a smoking hot rugby coach without a plan, but I need to sort this all out. Fast. If I can't figure out a way to slice through all this red tape, it could mean last call for Bridges and Bitters.

Last Call is a fast and entertaining read. I liked the characters, and thought their inner dialogue was very well done. I was glad to get both points of view, as it really helped me see both characters a little deeper and understand their fears and motivations. Parts of the book moved very quickly, but I liked that the pair get to know each other over time and do not go full on insta love. I thought it read fairly realistically and I lover that the author put in the time to make sure the cultures touched on in the book are done with accuracy and respect rather than just slapping a title on a character and calling the book diverse.  I loved the secondary characters and the friend group that Esther had. It makes me want to go back and read the previous books so I can get to know them all better. This was a fast read- a one day read for me- and I enjoyed it very much. 

No comments: