Book Review: Olympic Enemies by Rebecca J Caffery

Olympic Enemies
 by Rebecca J Caffery is a contemporary romance. Three weeks at the Olympic Village. Two Gymnasts who've been rivals for half a decade. Forced to share a room at the Paris 2024 Olympic Games, Oliver and Lucas are less than happy. After five years of fighting, the team needs them to learn to work together if they stand any chance of medalling. To make matters worse, Lucas, king of lone wolves, has absolutely no desire to become best friends with the three musketeers who make up the rest of the male British Gymnastics Team. So when the press becomes intrusive towards Lucas and Oliver finally steps in to defend him, things are looking up. Until that sliver of common ground truly demonstrates how thin the line between love and hate really can be. However, when their fighting turns to kissing which results in headlines in every newspaper and potential heartbreak for the pair, it isn’t just gold on the line -- it's their hearts.

Olympic Enemies is a un read with a nice balance of character and relationship development. I liked how well developed the main characters, and the most prevalent secondary character were. I thought the family and friendship ties, and the reasoning behind concerns and issues were all well built into the story. I liked the build up and resolution for the relationship between Oliver and Lucas. I thought the details about competitive gymnastics were well researched, and I loved getting a better understanding of what it can be like, and some of the stresses that the media and world in general can put towards those in the spotlight. I thought the team and coach dynamics were some of my favorite moments in the book, but I did find myself feeling like one secondary character was rather left out in the cold towards the end, and I would enjoy seeing them get some love in future books from the author. 

Olympic Enemies is an engaging and enjoyable read.

No comments: