Early Book Review: Reynard's Tale: A Story of Love and Mischief by Ben Hatke

Reynard's Tale: A Story of Love and Mischief by Ben Hatke is currently scheduled for release on April 18 2023. Inspired by the 12th century tales of the indomitable trickster fox Reynard, this offbeat tribute to the archetypal rogue has a satisfyingly old-fashioned feeling to it. Although this Reynard adventure is entirely the creation of modern fairytale master Ben Hatke (Mighty Jack), it fits seamlessly into the body of Reynard tales still beloved in Europe to this day.

Reynard's Tale is not quite what I expected from Hatke. I have adored everything from the author previously, so I could not turn down a change at this book. This book is aimed much more at adults than the middle grade and teen audience that I typically recommend their graphic novels to. As a reader with some folklore knowledge of Reynard I think that it will make much more sense to readers that have at least some knowledge of Reynard's trickster reputation than those that might be coming into the story fresh. The format is a little different than I expected. I was expecting a more typical graphic novel format, but this book is set in in alternating pages of text and illustration, this is not a bad, it just was not what I had thought I would see.  As expected, I fully enjoyed Hatke's art style. There are hidden bits of information and clues in every page, and I think the back and white artworks lends itself to this story and format perfectly.

Reynard's Tale is an interesting exploration of a folklore character. It is not quite what I expected, but is definitely unique and will be a favorite for some. 

No comments: