Book Review: Crack the Spine (The Wayward Series) by Wade Lewellyn-Hughes

Crack the Spine is the first book in The Wayward Series by Wade Lewellyn-Hughes. Fulfilling bounties on the supernatural requires a balance between safety and profit. Kendall Blake and the Wayward Investigations team walk this line with one goal in mind: to create a haven for runaway LGBTQ+ youth living on the streets of New Orleans, easy food for the darkness seldom discussed outside of fairy tales. But real estate is anything but cheap and selling the feu follet they catch in the swamps isn’t bringing in the cash they need. Enter Frankie Singh. Her childhood friend has gone missing in what appears to be a very sophisticated abduction. The fact it began with a murder in Portland has already skewed the balance beyond Wayward Investigations’ threshold. But they needed the money. Unraveling the mystery of what happened to her friend forces them deeper into the shadows and puts their own magical abilities to the test. Even tough-as-nails Kendall wonders if they made a mistake in trying to find her once she is staring down her gun into the glowing eyes of an incubus. 

Crack the Spine is a solid urban fantasy, but I have to admit that I had one problem with it. While it is the first in a series it felt like there was something leading up to this point, or that there should have been. I searched a bit, and while there are other books by the author I could find nothing that struck me as offering the answers of how the group in Wayward Investigations came together and formed their found family style bonds. However, I did like the major players and the story itself. I thought there were some great moments, and a couple I had to go back and re read because I was not sure if I missed something. I like the world that was created here, and the efforts of Kendall and her friends. There are plenty of mysteries and questions left in my mind at the end of this book, and I will read the next to see if I get those answered, and some more back story. 

Crack the Spine is a good urban fantasy, and I liked many aspects of the read. I believe I will give the second book a try when it comes out and decide after that read if I want to stick with the series.


No comments: