Book Review: A Dash of Salt and Pepper by Kosoko Jackson

A Dash of Salt and Pepper by Kosoko Jackson is a contemporary romance. Xavier Reynolds is doing less than stellar. He just got dumped, was passed over for a prestigious fellowship, and to top it all off he's right back home in Harper's Cove, Maine (population: 9,000). The last thing he wants to do is to work as a prep chef in the kitchen of the hip new restaurant in town, The Wharf. Especially since the hot, single-father chef who owns it can’t delegate to save his life. Logan O’Hare doesn’t understand Xavier or why every word out of his mouth is dipped in sarcasm. Unfortunately, he has no choice but to hire him—he needs more help in the kitchen and his tween daughter, Anne, can only mince so many onions. It might be a recipe for disaster, but Logan doesn’t have many options besides Xavier. Stuck between a stove and a hot place, Logan and Xavier discover an unexpected connection. But when the heat between them threatens to top the Scoville scale, they’ll have to decide if they can make their relationship work or if life has seasoned them too differently.

A Dash of Salt and Pepper is a romance with nuanced characters and a great sense of humor. I really enjoyed getting to know Xavier and Logan, and the secondary characters that brought a lot of heart to the story. I thought he back and forth between our couple was highly entertaining and I was very engaged in Xavier's personal growth as well as the romance. I loved the small town aspects and how no character was all good or bad, they were just real characters with plenty of grey- just like the people you run into every day. I loved the friendships and relationships between the main characters and secondary characters- and those those in the background have with each other. The only thing that I really did not like in the story was the ending. Of course there is a happy ending- I would not really label this a romance with out at least a happy for now. I saw two ore three ways for this to play out, but the chosen conclusion just fell flat for me, and I think even the same ending timed a bit differently in the action of the story would have worked better for me, but it just did not work for me. The book is still very much worth the read, and my disappointment is totally a matter of personal preference and other readers (including you) might very well disagree. 

A Dash of Salt and Pepper is a solid contemporary romance with all the feels. 

No comments: