Book Review: Lucky Penny by Ananth Hirsh, Yuko Ota

Lucky Penny by Ananth Hirsh is a graphic novel.  If Penny Brighton didn't have bad luck, she'd have no luck at all. She lost her job and apartment on the same day, and with no other options, she started crashing at her best friend Helen’s storage unit. As a last resort, Penny snags a job at the laundromat, which is managed by Helen’s surly twelve-year-old brother. Things couldn’t get much worse, but that doesn’t keep the ever-buoyant Penny down. After all, she’s been sensing boyfriend potential with the cute receptionist at the community center who’s been sneaking her in so she can use the shower. Maybe things are looking up! But if Penny knows one thing for certain, it’s that luck has never been her strong suit. How long can this last?
Lucky Penny is a graphic novel aimed mainly at the young and new adult set, of which I am neither, but I still greatly enjoyed this read. I liked the artwork, I enjoyed the line and color work and thought it did a great job of capturing and enchasing the storyline. While I have never been quite as down as my luck as Penny is at the start of this book, I think everyone has had a moment that they felt that the world was crashing around them and can relate to Penny on some level. Penny's changes between acting like everything is going to be fine and self consciousness is also something that many readers will be able to relate to. I loved the romance storyline, and thought the story as a whole was very engaging and entertaining to read. On the other hand, I have to admit that there were moments that I was a bot confused, whether what was happening on the page was real or part of Penny's imagination or her personally vision exaggerating the truth.  Regardless, I enjoyed the read and was really glad I requested this title via Netgalley. 

No comments: