Book Review: Becoming Crone (The Crone Wars) by Lydia M. Hawke

Becoming Crone is the first book in The Crone Wars series by Lydia M. Hawke. She's unabashedly gray and destined to save the world. Meet Claire. On her 60th birthday, she got a cranky gargoyle, an overprotective wolf-shifter, and a magical calling she never saw coming. It’s not quite the retirement plan she had in mind!

Becoming Crone is a good start to an urban fantasy series, and I really enjoyed the read. I liked Claire, who is struggling with a fairly resent divorce and what life might look like now that she does not really feel needed and has spent her whole life following the rules set on her by others and society. I thought her thoughts and concerns were very realistic, and I liked that readers get to learn all about the magic and legends of her world right along side her. I also liked getting to have a more mature heroine as the main character of the story, but I have to admit it bothered me more than a little when everyone (including Claire herself) kept referring to her as so old. Sixty is older than the typical chosen one we get to read about, but sixty is not decrepit. I am still a bit away from it, but I still think of sixty as older, but not old. Although, that was really my only sticking point with this book. I really enjoyed the read and will be keeping an eye out for the rest of the series.

Becoming Crone is an engaging and enjoyable urban fantasy read. 

No comments: