Book Review: A Call to Needles: Acts of Craftivism and Crafted Kindness in the Age of Trump by Dee Ann Eisner

A Call to Needles: Acts of Craftivism and Crafted Kindness in the Age of Trump by Dee Ann Eisner is a comprehensive look at how our needlework became a tool for change, especially in the Age of Trump. Needleworkers have a particular set of skills, and this blending of craft and activism is often referred to as craftivism. This book pays homage to craftivists and needleworkers reacting to challenging times. The ideas, the design and development of patterns, the teams that have been built around these ideas, and the outreach to other needleworkers to support and sustain these efforts deserve more attention. Eisner builds on her backstory, calling on readers to feel their own Call to Needles, whether they participate in an existing project or create a new phenomenon. Writing this book began as the author's coping mechanism while watching the slow chipping away at democracy, both in the US and around the world. It quickly became a passion project. The moment came that, even knowing there was more to discover, the writing simply had to stop. The story will continue, with updates on those in the book and new endeavors at www.acalltoneedles.com.

A Call to Needles taught me a bit about the history of crafting in the activism lens, and I feel like I learned a great deal in that regard. I had no idea about some of the craft related protests and projects, both in our relatively distant history and much more recently. While I knew about the pussyhats and the penguin sweaters, many of the other projects and movements were things I had never heard about and things I very easily could have taken part in. The book has made me more interested in getting involved, and looking more at what I can do locally and globally with my resources and skill sets. I thought the book was informative and inspiring, with a great deal of information and resources to help readers further research the things that interest them and to do some self assessment to understand our own motivation and not only how we can help, but the most effective, efficiently, and ecologically friendly way we can do so. Time to put me privilege, skills, and inability not to have at least two works in progress to better use. 

No comments: