Audiobook Review: Relatively Normal Secrets by C.W. Allen, Narrated by Ivy Tara Blair

Relatively Normal Secrets is a middle grade book written by C.W. Allen, and the audiobook is narrated by Ivy Tara Blair. It is currently scheduled for release on September 7 2022. 

Tuesday and Zed Furst are perfectly normal children with perfectly strange parents. Their father won’t discuss his job, their mother never leaves the house without her guard dog, and the topic of the family tree is off limits. When a last minute “business trip” gets the adults out of the way, Zed and Tuesday decide to get to the bottom of things once and for all. Too bad some thugs with shape-shifting weapons have other ideas. Their escape leaves them trapped in the modern-meets-medieval Falinnheim, where everyone insists their father is a disgraced fugitive. They hope whoever is leaving them coded clues may have some answers, but they’re not sure they’re going to like what they learn. If they ever want to see their parents again, they’ll need the help of a smuggler with a broken compass, their unusually talented dog, some extremely organized bandits, and a selection of suspiciously misquoted nursery rhymes. Zed and Tuesday may not have all the answers, but one thing is certain—when it comes to normal, everything is relative.

I thought Zed and Tuesday's story was well done. I liked the premise and the characters. I thought the slow reveal was handled well, and I liked the way the siblings worked together even when they did not necessarily agree. I liked the combination of action, fantasy, science, and mystery and think that it will appeal to a wide range of middle grade readers. I did have some trouble pinpointing the kid's ages, and I thought some of the things included in the story were a little too predictable or common for the genre, but I am also someone that has read more than my share of it and middle grade kids are likely to find it much newer and fresh than I did. I like that the book wrapped up the immediate questions, giving readers a satisfying ending but still leaving plenty of room for sequels. 

I liked the narrator's inflections and the spirit she put into the work. However, I have to admit that sometimes when she  I would not be able to make out what she was saying, no matter how high my volume was. It could very well be my hearing, but when certain characters were talking I had to work really hard to make out what was being said, and sometimes I still missed words or phrases. I would turn up the volume and then Tuesday would be talking and I would have to turn it back down. It become very frustrating especially since I listen to my audiobooks in the car and cannot often rewind to catch up with what was missed.

Relatively Normal Secrets is a good middle grade fantasy, but I think I would recommend reading a print copy rather than listening to the audiobook. 

No comments: