Book Review: Accidental Magic (Myrtlewood Mysteries) by Iris Beaglehole

Accidental Magic
 is the first book in the 
Myrtlewood Mysteries series by Iris Beaglehole. Life’s a struggle for Rosemary Thorn and her teen daughter, Athena. But their regular troubles are turned upside down after Granny Thorn’s mysterious death.  Despite her cousin's sinister maneuverings, Rosemary returns to Myrtlewood and the sprawling, dilapidated Thorn Manor. But there's more to the old house than meets the eye, as Rosemary and Athena soon find out — in a whirlwind of magic, adventure, mystical creatures and endless cups of tea. Life in Myrtlewood would be bliss if Rosemary could only clear her name in a certain murder investigation, solve the mystery and stay out of mortal peril – for at least a little while!  A small town with endless secrets, strange activities and a house with a mind of its own.

Accidental Magic left me satisfied with the ending, but with plenty of questions about where the series will go from here.  I thought that Rosemary and Athena had an interesting mother-daughter relationship, but I did like both characters. I thought that they balanced each other nicely and I was glad to get parts of the story from both of them. I liked the quirky nature of the town and its residents, although what do you expect from a magical town full of secrets. I am interested to see where some of the friendships and relationships might form and grow, and which might reveal even more secrets.  I was a little frustrated with the number of secrets and forgotten bits of information, even though it did fit with the story. I just felt like aspect of Rosemary and magic got used a little too often. However, I was interested in the mystery and magic of the story start to finish and plan on reading the second book to see what happens next and how Athena and Rosemary grow as characters.

Accidental Magic is an intriguing start to a new series and I am looking forward to seeing where it goes. 



No comments: