Book Review: My Next Play (On My Own) by Carrie Ann Ryan

My Next Play is the third book in the On My Own series by Carrie Ann Ryan. It can be read on its own, but returning readers will have a head start on understanding the characters and relationship dynamics. 

What happens when you fall for your best friend, but they fall in love with someone else? Nothing is what it seems in this unrequited love, new adult romance. Miles knew Nessa never had eyes for him. Only when someone new tries to hurt her, he knows he can’t stand back any longer. It’s time she finds out the man he is behind the glasses and beneath the shell he wrapped himself in. But now he has to hope that once she sees the real him, she’ll stay. Because he doesn’t want to let go, even if someone else tries to make that choice for them both.

My Next Play is a contemporary romance with dynamic characters and high tension on a number of levels. I have not read the previous books in this series, but I have read other books by the author set in the same area, and recognized some of the secondary characters. I think that dedicated readers of the author in general, and series in particular, will already know about the tension between Nessa and the guy roommates in the series as well as some of the more serious issues that are mentioned. However, the author does a good job of giving enough information to remind returning readers with out rehashing past plots too much and giving new readers the information they need to get context for current story lines. This balance can be hard, but Ryan nailed it here. I liked the tension between Nessa and Miles, and really enjoyed the use communication, consent, and heat between them. The worries and issues they each had to face, not even including their relationship, were hard and a big part of their characters even when they tried not to share it. The character depth and growth was very well done. I thought the tension level of the book was high, I spent most of the book waiting for the big moment, and there were a couple time jumps that had me going back a page worried that I had missed a clue or big moment. I also loved the secondary characters, and now I want to go back and catch up on what I missed, and see what happens next with the whole group.

My Next Play is a highly engaging romance with great characters.

No comments: