Book Review: Rules for Heiresses by Amalie Howard

Rules for Heiresses by Amalie Howard is a follow up to The Princess Stakes, but there is no series title that I could find, and think it stands well on its own.

Born to a life of privilege, Lady Ravenna Huntley rues the day that she must marry. She's refused dozens of suitors and cried off multiple betrothals, but running away—even if brash and foolhardy—is the only option left to secure her independence.Lord Courtland Chase, grandson of the Duke of Ashton, was driven from England at the behest of his cruel stepmother. Scorned and shunned, he swore never to return to the land of his birth. But when a twist of bad luck throws a rebellious heiress into his arms, at the very moment he finds out he's the new Duke, marriage is the only alternative to massive scandal. Both are quick to deny it, but a wedding might be the only way out for both of them. And the attraction that burns between them makes Ravenna and Courtland wonder if it'll truly only be a marriage of convenience after all. 

Rules for Heiresses is a romance with a great deal going on. I liked Ravenna, and thought she faced a great deal of growth in recognizing her own privilege and wanting to understand and grow. Courtland did not grow quite as much, but the couple was fun to watch as they tried to figure out what they each wanted, and how to achieve it. I liked the mystery and danger aspects of the story. I did feel like there were moments that moved way too fast, skipping weeks here and there to get right back to the action. I am not sure what I would have like to see done differently but since the couple knew each other already there way a great deal of the normal get to know each other stuff that was just kind of skipped and that might be part of what I was hoping to see. I think race and prejudice was handled fairly well, and I liked that Ravenna making the effort to grow and learn was part of the journey.  I rather wanted to see more of some of the secondary characters. I thought Rawley was a great start to a fascinating character- I would have loved to have seen more interaction with him and Courtland as well as Ravenna. If he is such a trusted person, and has such an important role in just about everything then he should have had more of a chance to have his say. I feel like he could have straightened everything out much quicker and more efficiently. That being said, I did enjoy the read, but had a few moments that I would have liked to see go a bit differently and follow a slightly different path after an extremely strong start. 

Rules for Heiresses is a solid historical romance. 


No comments: