Early Book Review: The Strangest Thing in the Sea: And Other Curious Creatures of the Deep by Rachel Poliquin, Byron Eggenschwiler

The Strangest Thing in the Sea: And Other Curious Creatures of the Deep, written by Rachel Poliquin and illustrated by Byron Eggenschwiler,  is a children's nonfiction book currently scheduled for release on October 5 2021. A look at some very strange creatures in the sea --- but which is the strangest? A feathery tutu dancing through the water? A tiptoeing rock wearing a wig? A mountain of skulls on the ocean floor? Not everything is quite as it seems in this fascinating exploration of 12 bizarre and little-known sea animals. Each creature is introduced with an imaginative first-person depiction of its appearance, accompanied by an artistic interpretation and the question, “Am I the strangest thing in the sea?” Then, open the gatefold, and an illustration and full description of the actual creature in its habitat are revealed, along with the tantalizing answer that, no, this is not the strangest thing in the sea. That is, until the last creature, which is the strangest. But what could it be?


I enjoyed The Strangest Thing in the Sea very much. I thought the artwork matched the text very well, and the detail and imagination on each page showed great skill. I thought the use of gatefolds was a good choice, and the execution was on point. The page layout, and book organization as a whole, was very good. I enjoyed the balance of whimsy in the imagined version oft he creatures balanced with solid information.  I have to admit that I was already very familiar with most of the animals featured, but I think the approach and chosen information was great.I really liked that a glossary and chart showing the different zones of the sea and where the featured animals live were included.  I learned a few new things, and I think readers of a variety of ages will be highly engaged and interested in this book. 


No comments: