Book Review: Once Ghosted, Twice Shy (Ghosted Cozy Mysteries, #1) by Jessica Arden


Once Ghosted, Twice Shy
 is the first book in the Ghosted Cozy Mystery series by Jessica Arden. New Orleans ghost tour gift shop manager, Paige Harrington makes a wish for her twenty-fifth birthday: to find the one thing she can be as passionate about as her cancer researcher parents. She doesn’t, however, expect her calling to come in the form of a mysterious app on her phone that matches her up with the ghost of a cute bartender who wants her to solve his murder. Nor for her pet hedgehog, Auguste, to start talking to her with a French accent. When her favorite professor turned cafe owner, Liz Pickett is framed for the murder, Paige can’t sit by and let all of this happen. Even if uncovering the truth means tangling with the Enclave, a secret society with the power and connections to make someone like her asking too many questions disappear without a trace. With the Enclave and their dark secrets dogging at her heels, Paige will have to step up her sleuthing skills and unmask the real killer before she ends up their next victim.

Once Ghosted, Twice Shy is a book that felt like a cozy mystery, but it had some very dark moments. I liked Paige's search for her calling, and the supportive circle of friends. I liked the secondary characters and thought some of the connections and banter were great. Sometimes there were connections that felt like they would lead to something in this case, or future installments but others felt like there might have been a prequel or related series that went into things with more detail. I really liked the ghost elements, and the talking hedgehog. I thought the humor and conversations between friends and main characters were the best parts of the book. I did think that the mystery part was well done, and there were some good twists and turns. However, there were parts that did not seem connected to the larger story and left me with new questions that I do not think I will ever get answers to. I liked the read, and so much of it worked for me, but I felt like the balance of dark and humor was a little off for my personal tastes.

Once Ghosted, Twice Shy is a good read with plenty of humor and a fair amount of dark and dangerous. 

No comments: