Book Review: Hexing the Ex (House of Magic) by Susanna Shore


Hexing the Ex
 is the first book in the House of Magic series by Susanna Shore. I didn’t expect to be evicted the first thing I returned from my holiday, but thanks to my roommate Nick, that’s what I was facing. It’s not exactly easy to find a new place to live in London, so when Phoebe Thorpe spots a room-to-let sign at the window of a magic shop, she doesn’t hesitate. The room is perfect, even if chores are part of the rent. There is only one thing odd about her new landladies. They seem to believe magic exists. Phoebe doesn’t believe in magic, but unfortunately magic believes in her. A mysterious statuette is sent to her boss, Archibald Kane, and she accidentally triggers a curse meant for him. Naturally, the first person she curses is her ex-boyfriend. But why would anyone want to curse her boss, a perfectly ordinary antiques dealer? Or is he? Phoebe sets out to break the curse with the help of her new housemates. But it isn’t easy trying to solve a mystery she doesn’t even believe is real. Then again, that hellhound chasing her seemed pretty solid.

Hexing the Ex is a good series starter that hits a good balance of world and character building with action and fun. I liked Phoebe and enjoyed getting to know her and the group of characters that are or become part of her life.Her self awareness and willingness to adapt to new revelations made everything interesting and fun.  I thought the reveal of the magical world was well done and the mystery storyline had some really good twists in it, finishing off with something very different than I expected. The amounts of humor and action were very well balanced, with the characters not taking themselves to seriously. I found the curse and other magic elements to be well handled, using both traditional and fresh interpretation to the story and world building. I really enjoyed the read and plan on reading more from this author- including future installments of this series and their back list. 

Hexing the Ex is a fun and enteraining read. I hope to continue with this series. 


No comments: