Book Review: The Bookshop of Second Chances by Jackie Fraser

The Bookshop of Second Chances 
by Jackie Fraser is contemporary fiction. Thea Mottram is having a bad month. She’s been let go from her office job with no notice—and to make matters even worse, her husband of nearly twenty years has decided to leave her for one of her friends. Bewildered and completely lost, Thea doesn’t know what to do. But when she learns that a distant great uncle in Scotland has passed away, leaving her his home and a hefty antique book collection, she decides to leave Sussex for a few weeks. Escaping to a small coastal town where no one knows her seems to be exactly what she needs. Almost instantly, Thea becomes enamored with the quaint cottage, comforted by its cozy rooms and lovely but neglected garden. The locals in nearby Baldochrie are just as warm, quirky, and inviting. The only person she can’t seem to win over is bookshop owner Edward Maltravers, to whom she hopes to sell her uncle’s book collection. His gruff attitude—fueled by an infamous, long-standing feud with his brother, a local lord—tests Thea’s patience. But bickering with Edward proves oddly refreshing and exciting, leading Thea to develop feelings she hasn’t experienced in a long time. As she follows a thrilling yet terrifying impulse to stay in Scotland indefinitely, Thea realizes that her new life may quickly become just as complicated as the one she was running from.

The Bookshop of Second Chances is a story that I was not sure about in the beginning. I was not sure what category or sub category to label it is, and as I became invested in Thea's life it did really matter to me anymore. Thea had a rough month, getting fired for any reason is hard and then having a marriage split that includes friend and home division on top of it is horrific. I could understand the emotional and mental crisis Thea was going through- wondering what went wrong and what could possibly come next. I think that the fact that I am in the same age range as the main characters made it much easier to picture myself in their shoes, and empathize with the feelings that these kind of life changes bring on. I also liked that while there is romance there, and it certainly helped Thea move forward, it was not the key to what helped her see her worth and find her place. I liked reading alone as she made friends, and figured out how to move forward. I liked how she continued to try and make things better for those around her without compromising her own values or needs. When waves of trouble hit she dealt with it (got some good cries in because we all deserve that) and then pivoted and  adjusted. I am not sure that I could have been so calm and collected as Thea given the same circumstances, although her worries lined what perfectly with what I think I would have been thinking in her place. I will be thinking about these characters for a while now.

The Bookshop of Second Chances is a story that took a minute to grab me, but now after finishing it will not let go. 

No comments: