Audiobook Review: Cosmic Queries: StarTalk's Guide to Who We Are, How We Got Here, and Where We're Going by Neil deGrasse Tyson, James Trefil, Lauren Fortgang

Cosmic Queries: StarTalk's Guide to Who We Are, How We Got Here, and Where We're Going, written by Neil deGrasse Tyson and James Trefil and narrated by Neil deGrasse Tyson, Lauren Fortgang, is a book that takes the idea of the StarTalk podcast and expands on some of the more in depth questions and ideas that just do not fit in the podcast format. For science geeks, space and physics nerds, and all who want to understand their place in the universe. This illuminating audiobook takes on the big questions that humanity has been posing for millennia—How did life begin? What is our place in the universe? Are we alone?—and provide answers based on the most current data, observations, and theories. Populated with paradigm-shifting discoveries that help explain the building blocks of astrophysics, this relatable and entertaining book will engage and inspire listeners of all ages, bring sophisticated concepts within reach, and offer a window into the complexities of the cosmos.

Cosmic Queries is an engaging and enlightening audiobook- and I can only imagine that the addition of photographs and any images in the printed or digital version of the book only increase the level of understanding, engagement, and interest in the reader. The alternating narration was very well done, and I found the inflections and phrasing to be very well done and able to keep me engaged even when the subject matter might have lost me otherwise. The writing was well done- and  I found that for the most part I understood the details and was intrigued by the information shared and questions raise. I will admit that there were a few times that my mind drifted or I was interrupted and when I refocused was completely lost with the topic at hand, but a quick rewind was able to fix that. I am not sure how much I retained- but that is on me and not the reading material. 

I think anyone that enjoys StarTalk and related podcasts, and anyone interested in learning more about the universe and how it all works will enjoy Cosmic Queries as an audiobook or traditional read.  

No comments: