Early Book Review: Broken (in the best possible way) by Jenny Lawson

Broken (in the best possible way) is the third book by Jenny Lawson and is currently scheduled for release on April 6 2021. I have been a fan of Jenny Lawson since a coworker showed me her blog, and I was introduced to the joys of The Bloggess and tales of a giant metal chicken, taxidermied animals in interesting clothing and poses, and the stories she shared. If you have never had the chance to enjoy all that, I highly suggest giving the blog a look. I'll even point you in the right direction, go here: https://thebloggess.com/.

As Jenny Lawson’s hundreds of thousands of fans know, she suffers from depression. In Broken, Jenny brings readers along on her mental and physical health journey, offering heartbreaking and hilarious anecdotes along the way. With people experiencing anxiety and depression now more than ever, Jenny humanizes what we all face in an all-too-real way, reassuring us that we’re not alone and making us laugh while doing it. From the business ideas that she wants to pitch to Shark Tank to the reason why Jenny can never go back to the post office, Broken leaves nothing to the imagination in the most satisfying way. And of course, Jenny’s long-suffering husband Victor—the Ricky to Jenny’s Lucille Ball—is present throughout. A treat for Jenny Lawson’s already existing fans, and destined to convert new ones, Broken is a beacon of hope and a wellspring of laughter when we all need it most.

I do not know what I can say to describe and recommend this book more than its own blurb. Jenny has shared her struggles, her stories, and herself with readers for years. I think now that so many more people are feeling shattered and broken in their own ways, that people are admitting to themselves and others that they could use some help, that this kind of honesty and humor is needed and appreciated. If you are looking for a linear memoir or nonfiction offering with perfect answers and a solid conclusion then this is not for you. However, if you want a book that offers an honest look at how hard it is to live with autoimmune disorders, depression, anxiety, and more with humor and a deep sense of understanding and camaraderie then this IS the book for you. Some of the stories I remember because I follow Jenny on social media, but none of it felt rehashed or recycled. I found myself laugh/crying in bed one night while I was reading this- which my cats did not appreciate. I really frond joy in some of the stories, secondary embarrassment in others, and a sense of 'that is something that would happen to me' in far too many. More than anything, the book offered a connection and hope, that no matter what none of us are the only one to being feeling a certain way, or fighting our own demons, even if we have somehow convinced ourselves and others that we are just fine. It also reminded me, that those people around me that I think have it all together, are dealing with something too- so lets all just be kind and help each other through life.

No comments: