Early Book Review: My Monsterpiece by Amalia Hoffman

 My Monsterpiece by Amalia Hoffman is a picturebook currently scheduled for release on March 2 2021. Have you ever tried to make the meanest, wildest, scariest monster? What if even a green tongue, pointy horns, creepy sharp teeth, and claws won’t frighten anyone away? Join the frustrated artist on an adventure where the scary and not scary mingle and lead to the discovery that overcoming fear and prejudice can bring about a wonderful friendship.
My Monsterpiece is a bright and entertaining read. I liked that the art looked like the art of the child artist at the heart of the story. There are many media used, drawings as well as construction paper and words in the art. I thought that the text and art had a good balance, the eye was continuously taking in new bits of detail while not loosing the text and the larger story. I liked that there was some critical thinking, not just how can I draw something scarier because I cannot seem to- but understanding that maybe monsters do not need to be scary and can be just like people you know, while just being a little different, and that monsters just might be scared of us. The bright colors, inclusive storyline, and fun words to say, like grrr, also make this a good read aloud to share and to start an art project and discussion about the ideas of the book. 

No comments: