Book Review: Choosing You by Stacy Finz


Choosing You
 
by Stacy Finz is a contemporary romance, and part of the Nugget series. I have not read the previous books, and while it takes place n a small town and it is clear that characters will pop up repeatedly in the series, it seems like each can be enjoyed on their own as well.

Picturesque Nugget, California, couldn’t be more different than the glittering caverns of Manhattan, but Brynn Barnes is grateful for the change. After the accident that took her husband’s life and seriously injured her young son Henry’s legs, a clinical trial from a pioneering young doctor offers Brynn hope that Henry may walk again. And even as the magnificent landscape and the town’s hospitality help mend Brynn’s broken spirit, it’s a certain handsome surgeon’s compassion that soothes her aching heart. Reeling after a bitter divorce, Ethan Daniels has brought his medical practice and his young daughter to Nugget, where he hopes its homey warmth will ease the transition to a family of two. A new relationship is the last thing he should be thinking about. But Ethan can’t help his immediate attraction to beautiful Brynn—or the feelings she’s awakening in him. For two people battered by life’s cruelest blows, love may be the perfect prescription.

Choosing You is a sweet romance with a sprinkle of heat. I liked Brynn, she is doing everything she can to help her son recover from his injuries and is willing to do anything for his wellbeing. Ethan is a good guy, fantastic surgeon, and as equally dedicated to his daughter. I liked getting to see the characters get to know each other, and some of the characters of Nugget make their appearances. I think returning readers will get a kick out of seeing their favorites have their moments, and there are plenty of hints of who might be finding their happy ending in upcoming books. I thought there was a great deal right with the book, I liked the characters and the town, I felt like there was a tension for a good portion of the book were I was waiting for something big and dramatic to happen. And while there were a few tense moments, I never really got the crisis that I was expecting. Not that I wanted anything bad to happen, but the switching between three character voices had me thinking that the third party might be more problematic than they were. I thought the solution was pretty obvious about halfway through the book, but know people can be stubborn and blind to the simple solutions- so the path the story took was realistic in that regard. I did enjoy the read, although because I already had my mind set of how things would be resolved, I did find my mind wondering a bit as I read. This is my fault, and the oddness that is life right now, but I need to be honest that there were moments the book did not have my full attention.  

Choosing You is a good contemporary romance that I enjoyed reading.

No comments: