Book Review: The Best Man (From Connemara With Love) by Alex Kelly


The Best Man
 is the first book in the From Connemara With Love series by Alex Kelly. My name is Alex Brennan, and this is my story: of how I realized I’d lost the most important person in my life, before I even had her. I always turn up at just the wrong moment. I never know how to make the most of a situation; I don’t know the right thing to say, or when I should come or go. Let’s just say I have really shit timing. I’m not a smart guy. I don’t have great ideas. I’m practical, a hard worker; someone who lives for his family, and for the air that she breathes. It’s just a shame that the “she” in question never knew this. It’s a shame that I waited all these years to make my move. It’s useless to tell you, readers, that it was already too late; that I’d screwed everything up, once again. And, this time, my mistakes forced her to come home. Except she didn’t want to stay. And now she hates me – or maybe she doesn’t. I still haven’t worked out what’s going on between us, but like I said, I’m not the sharpest tool in the box. And even though this could be my last chance, I’m not going to be the one to ask her to stay. Not even if she turns out to be the one I’ve always waited for. Because she doesn't belong in this place. And she doesn't belong in my life. 

The Best Man is a book that took me by surprise. It started with an interrupted wedding and then explained all the characters, connections, and relationships. I will admit that it took me awhile to get to like Alex, for the same reason I sometimes have trouble with other lead characters. Everyone, including himself, puts his courage and intelligence. Just like when a female character puts herself down because of her choices, her body, her personality- whatever. It drives me crazy, especially when it is the very aspect of the character that makes them so perfect for the relationship the story is about. Alex is not stupid, he cares more about other people's happiness than his own- which gets him into trouble sometimes but is a trait that makes him who he is. Elle is sweet, sassy, and a little lost. I liked that the personalities were the opposite of the expected. Alex is caring and willing to wait while Elle is a little all over the place and taking a little longer to understand the feelings. It was very much an emotional journey, with plenty heat, with a few surprises along the way. I was a little annoyed with the fact that they never talked protection, because I think the safe sex and consent talks are very important. However, I enjoyed the read and loved the secondary characters. I have another book from this author in my reading queue, and I am really looking forward to returning to this small town and seeing where some of the characters go from here. 

The Best Man is a sweet friends to lover romance with plenty of feels.

No comments: