Early Book Review: Dryad Vol. 1 by Kurtis Wiebe

Dryad
, Vol. 1, is a fantasy graphic novel written by Kurtis Wiebe and illustrated by Justin Barcelo (at least according to the credit pages in the galley I received, many sites have a different last name for the illustrator). It is currently scheduled for release on January 5 2021. The Glass family has spent thirteen years hiding peacefully in the sleepy forest settlement of Frostbrook where Morgan and Yale planted roots and raised their twins, Griffon and Rana. But secrets never stay hidden, and the entire Glass family find themselves the target of an unearthly attack on Frostbrook. Now on the run from Muse Corp., they must flee to the massive city of Silver’s Bay to hide in plain sight. Rana and Griffon find themselves uprooted and answering for their parents' mistakes. But, they’ll soon find that the past has a way of finding you, no matter where you run.

Dryad is a fantasy with tech elements, and some serious character and world building. The artwork is well done and matches the style and mood of the story. The details and color add a great deal to the story and do their job of immersing the reader in the world. I thought the information given as to the past of Morgan and Yale was given in good , small doses. I will admit that I want more information (rather like the twins) but I suspect those secrets are such an important part of the story that there will be a big reveal and repercussions that I have not considered yet. I am more than willing to wait and find out at the pace the author has set. There is a good mix of mystery, tech, magic, and individual character building and development. My biggest disappointment is that I feel like I was just about to get to the best part- some explanations of the past and who Yale and Morgan really are when the book ended. I expected a cliff hanger- as it is fairly standard in graphic novels of this caliber- but somehow it still snuck up on me and came way too soon.

Dryad is a good start to a graphic novel series, even if it did end with a cliff hanger.

No comments: