Book Review: White Trash Warlock by David R. Slayton

White Trash Warlock 
by David R. Slayton is the first book in a new urban fantasy series. Adam Binder has the Sight. It’s a power that runs in his bloodline: the ability to see beyond this world and into another, a realm of magic populated by elves, gnomes, and spirits of every kind. But for much of Adam’s life, that power has been a curse, hindering friendships, worrying his backwoods family, and fueling his abusive father’s rage. Years after his brother, Bobby, had him committed to a psych ward, Adam is ready to come to grips with who he is, to live his life on his terms, to find love, and maybe even use his magic to do some good. Hoping to track down his missing father, Adam follows a trail of cursed artifacts to Denver, only to discover that an ancient and horrifying spirit has taken possession of Bobby’s wife. It isn’t long before Adam becomes the spirit’s next target. To survive the confrontation, save his sister-in-law, and learn the truth about his father, Adam will have to risk bargaining with very dangerous beings, including his first love.
 

White Trash Warlock is an urban fantasy novel that hooked me right away, and kept dragging me deeper into its world until I did not want to leave when I finished the book. Adam is a character that is flawed, and aware of most of those flaws. His relationships and understanding of himself is complicated and only becomes more so when his brother asks him for help and he has to face all the messy history and manipulation that leads to the current situation. I thought the characters were very well developed, complex and none perfect or too static. The world building was well done s well, I would love to dive in a little deeper to the hows and whys of things, but that really did not have any place in this story and look forward to more being revealed as the series continues. I thought the world and character building and development were nicely balanced with the action and mystery aspects of the story. Relationships, self perception, and family and hard and complicated- more so when magic and destruction is involved. The fact that the characters were complex, diverse, and outside the scope of what I normally see in the genre made it even better. I never found myself bored, and often found myself wishing I was reading while I was forced to do other things, and then when I finished it I was sad that there was no more waiting for me. 

White Trash Warlock grabbed my interest right away and left me wanting more. I am eager to see where this series goes. 





No comments: