Book Review: Looking for a Cowboy (Heart of Texas) by Donna Grant

Looking for a Cowboy is the fifth book in the Heart of Texas series by Donna Grant, but can be enjoyed on its own as well. I have not read the previous books, and was able to still fully enjoy the read. 

A beautiful stranger has come to Clearview, asking questions that are nobody’s business. Cooper Owens also wasn’t born yesterday. He knows that this out-of-towner is hiding a dark secret of her own. Much as he knows he should head in the other direction, he can’t make himself turn away. P.I. Marlee Frampton always wanted to lead a nice quiet life, working as a cop in her local police department. But that dream came to an end when her sister was murdered—and her baby kidnapped. Now Marlee’s come to Texas to investigate the Harpers, who may be linked to shady adoption agencies. Cooper can’t believe that his friends could be involved in anything so sinister, and soon he makes it his mission to help Marlee discover the truth—and keep her safe in his arms.

Looking for a Cowboy is a book that starts of dark, and I was not quite ready for it, even though it is spelled out in the teaser. I did like the strength and complexity of Marlee's character, and could relate to her taking on everything herself and having trouble accepting (never mind asking for) help. Cooper is a good blend of fun and strength, and I liked his character a great deal, if not a little too perfect.I liked the pair together, and thought they made a good team. I did think that Marlee had a few moments where she was just too close and made some foolish decisions- but I cannot say that I would do any better. I liked that readers got to see inside the heads of the bad guys too, bringing home the idea that those others see as evil rarely see themselves as such. I liked the secondary characters, which returning readers are likely to recognize and be glad to see more of. Honestly the only real problem I had with the book was some lack of discussion surrounding protection for sex. They can talk about murder and kidnapping, but not the fact that no one has a condom and they just go forward because pulling out is so safe? I have gotten used to such great discussions about sex by characters in romance that it just bothered me a great deal that part of it was missing here.

Looking for a Cowboy is a good romantic suspense book. I think fans of the series will find it a must read.

No comments: