Book Review: The Witch and the Beast, Volume 1 by Kousuke Satake

The Witch and the Beast, Volume 1 by Kousuke Satake is a paranormal mystery and adventure  about powerful women and good and evil. Guideau is a feral girl with long fangs and the eyes of a beast. Ashaf is a soft-spoken man with delicate features and a coffin strapped to his back. This ominous pair appears one day in a town that's in thrall to a witch, who has convinced the townsfolk she's their hero. But Ashaf and Guideau know better. They have scores to settle, and they won't hesitate to remove anyone in their way. 

The Witch and the Beast is a manga style graphic novel with action, some gore, and a mystery around exactly who and what the main characters are. Ashaf seems nice and almost weak, until he needs to step up and take care of business, where as Guideau acts tough and uncontrollable but I have a suspicion that she has so much more to her story.  I think the story does a good job of setting up the questions about the major players and getting readers invested in the world that was created here. I know that when I finished the story I wanted to know more about what would happen next, and just how the characters came to be who they are. The artwork is very well done. I think the black and white pages were perfect for the story and style. I did find some of the details hard to pick out on occasion, and found myself squinting at the pages more than once trying to figure out something on a page, but that could be my aging eyes as much as the otherwise impeccable artwork.

The Witch and the Beast is a a graphic novel that will inspire further reading. I think fans of antihero's and complicated bourndries between good and evil will particularly enjoy the read.  

No comments: