Book Review: Sarah's Dream (Grémillet Sisters) Script by Giovanni Di Gregorio & Art by Alessandro Barbucci


 Sarah's Dream is the first book in the Grémillet Sisters graphic novel series, the script is by Giovanni Di Gregorio and art by Alessandro Barbucci. Being sisters is never easy. But when you’re as different as Sarah, Cassiopeia, and Lucille, it’s even harder! The first is haunted by recurring dreams, the second lives with her head in the clouds, and the last spends most of her time with her cat. Then one day they discover a mysterious photo of their mother pregnant. Where was it taken, and who is the baby? And most importantly, why was this photo hidden away in the depths of the attic? To find out, they’ll have to venture into the tangled forest of the Grémillet family secrets!

Sarah's Dream is a story about family, siblings in particular. I liked the mysterious elements of the dreams of jellyfish. I think the pages really had an ethereal feel and made the story otherworldly.  The color work and art style greatly appealed to me, and I enjoyed the art as much as the story. The emotion and mood of each page was well captured, with details that I did not always catch at first glance. The dynamic between the sisters was very real to me, as siblings often have that struggle of love and annoyance going at all times. I will say that the story was not quite what I was expecting. I was really expecting more magic, mythical, or paranormal twist to rise up in the story. The story is well written and drawn, it was just not the story that I expected. That's not always a bad thing, especially when it is well done, as it is here. I was just really in the mood for magical mayhem, and did not get that. 

Sarah's Dream is a beautiful graphic novel, both emotionally and artistically.

No comments: